Mt Roberts/Mt Superbus/Lincoln Wreck

I really like to go hiking. And it’s a perfect excuse to take a hell of a lot of photos of everything and anything. Most of my hikes are just day time only, so I can get home to a real meal and a real bed. But with the booking of a 7 day Tasmanian hike at the end of the year, I’ve had to start practicing long hikes and stripping down weight in my bag, especially when it comes to how many cameras and lenses I can take. I can never make the decision of what to take, as I never know what the situation will call for. It’s the same reason I generally carry about 4 lenses and 3 cameras no matter where I go.

In an effort to get ready for the end of the year, we decided to hike up South East Queensland’s tallest mountain, with a bonus stop at a mountain bearing the same name as my mate and a plane wreck from 1955! I made a Google Earth file of some key points and the tracks, so if you want to follow along or try it yourself, download it here. The track misses the start for some reason. I forgot to lock the GPS in my pocket and I think I reset a few things… We also followed a bit of the track I found over here, it helped us get to the wreck.

We decided to do it a bit of a different way, starting from Teviot Falls, working our way up to the main ridge between Mt Roberts and Mt Superbus. The normal access road was completely washed out, so we had to traverse a dirt road, across the rabbit fence to NSW and then back into Queensland. Last time I drove this road, I wrecked my car. Luckily I wasn’t driving this time, but I was still a bit paranoid.

We parked at the start of the hike (location), but we decided to go see the look out on the abandoned road. Teviot Falls wasn’t big, but the side of the cliff looked pretty epic.

We lost the track rather rapidly, so we decided to make our own way up a creek following the topographical map.

It seemed we were wrong for a while, but it didn’t matter. The walk by the waterfalls and through the rainforest was incredible. We stopped for lunch at a nice little waterfall that not many people probably have ever seen (location). Not far from it we found a side of a ridge of small boulders completely covered with moss. It was beautiful, and almost an alien landscape. And it was here I remembered why I hate photographing in rainforests: the ridiculous contrast in light. Throughout the picture¬† it swings from dark to bright extremes. It’s almost impossible to capture everything in frame you want to.

As we ascended, we came across a ridiculously steep section of track where a few trees had fallen down in a wash out. Taking the entire side of the mountain with it. It was incredible. This was one of my favourite parts of the hike, as I love a good scramble. We went up and up and up for a good half hour amongst massive trunks of fallen trees, through loose dirt, over boulders and avoiding a very sudden appearance of a tiger snake. And at the top of this scramble, we found the track again, only about 400 metres away from where we were aiming for if we had stuck to the track (location).

We then started our way towards the summit of Mt Roberts, but we managed to get a great view of the valley leading out over the steamers and towards Warwick (location).

We then reached the summit of Mt Roberts, where Michael rejoiced because he shared his surname with the mountain (location). But like most of the summits in Main Range National Park, there was no view from the top. Just trees, trees and more trees, surrounding the cairn. We found our campsite (location) over on the next peak, which afforded an alright view of Mt Barney and Mt Maroon (quite possibly my two favourite mountains to climb), if you lent out through the trees and over the cliff.

We set up camp and headed a bit further out to the lookout at Lizard Point (location), which turned out to be one of the greatest views I have ever seen. There were views North, South, East and even a little bit of West. We liked it so much we watched the sunset, then got up at 4 am to watch the sunrise again with a nice little cup of tea.

After packing up camp, we headed back across the ridge, over Mt Roberts and all the way to the summit of South-East Queensland’s tallest mountain, Mt Superbus (pronounced Superb-Us, but I can never not say Super-Bus) (location). Once again, no view from here. But there was a guest book to sign, hidden in a nice little box.

I had to get back to Brisbane to photograph Fall Out Boy that night, but we decided to take a punt and make the long hike out to the south peak of Superbus (location), where a plane crashed in 1955, just off the peak. It was over a 3 hour return trip to the north peak, but we decided to go for it. And it was worth it. There’s still quite a lot of the plane there, even after almost 60 years (location). Although some parts are a little bit worse for wear and its covered in a lot of graffiti. That was the biggest disappointment to me, it is not a real accessible place, and the kind of people that would head there (like me) should show a little more respect for it.

I even poured out a bit of my drink for the fallen. Clint and I started this tradition a very long time ago at Stinson’s Wreck in Lamington.

We were a bit later than planned, so we hoofed it back to try and find the real path back down to the car park (turnoff location). The way back to the car was almost completely steep downhill in loose dirt and leaves. I’m glad we didn’t come up this way, it would have been a hard slog with all of our gear and there was nothing really good to look at, unlike the creeks, waterfalls and scree of our unique way up.

The drive back was via a different, more stable road. From the road there was a look out to all of the mountains we had spent two days visiting.

And also back to that pesky Wilson’s Peak where I wrecked my car years ago.

It was a ridiculously hard slog over rarely-visited ground, but totally worth it. I think I got a few good pictures too.

Warning: for anyone wanting to try this hike, make sure you are fit and very skilled in off-track bush navigation. It’s ridiculously easy to lose the track and your bearings.

Here’s a gallery of more photos:


  1. name
    Posted October 29, 2013 at 9:34 pm | #

    disappointed that you’re friends with roberts and not superbus

    • Mark B
      Posted November 2, 2013 at 10:17 pm | #

      Well, ‘Roberts’ is his mild-mannered cover name … his alter ego is Captain SuperBus !!

  2. Hank & Martha
    Posted November 3, 2013 at 10:16 pm | #

    Hi Moshpitson, Thanks via Mark Bateup, for your splendid comments on the latest hike.
    Mark showed us some of his pictures too, and we are fully uptodate with his hiking and trekking in the surrounding hills and valleys around Sth East Qld.

  3. Hank & Martha
    Posted November 3, 2013 at 10:18 pm | #

    Thanks to Mark Bateup, we are all uptodate and have seen some of his pictures.
    Thanks for this nice comments on your latest hike.
    And keep sending them as you go along further trecks etc.
    Hank & Martha Wichers

  4. Benjamin
    Posted February 4, 2015 at 4:06 am | #

    Hi, how long would it take to get to lizard point without stopping for photos? Assuming im fit and the weather is good, taking shortest route.


    • Posted February 5, 2015 at 3:09 pm | #

      Hi Ben,
      We took our time and it took us about 6 hours, with overnight pacckcs and a lot of bush bashing because we got lost. I’d say maybe 4 hours?

  5. cheryl chamberlain
    Posted January 29, 2016 at 9:00 pm | #

    Looks amazing … i would love to do that walk. Thank you so much for sharing…

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>